- Blog Post: How to Use Fiber Optic LEDs to Create a Sci-Fi Sanctuary
- Video: Pegasus Lighting Customer Uses Fiber Optic LEDs to Create a Dazzling Concrete Countertop
Installing an LED fiber optic starry sky ceiling kit is a relatively simple DIY project with a few tools and a little bit of patience.
- Ceiling Access: access above the ceiling is required because this is where all of the fibers and the illuminator will be stored.
- Mark Your Ceiling Studs: use a stud finder to mark all of the studs on your ceiling to ensure that you don't drill in to any stud. This will also give you a starting point for creating a diagram of how you want your star ceiling effect to look. The areas between each stud location is where you can put a fiber optic strand.
- Illuminator Position: choose a position above your ceiling to put your illuminator light source engine so that the fiber optic wires can reach to all of the corners in your room.
- Storing Items Above Ceiling?: if you use the access area above the ceiling to store items then we recommend drilling 1-inch holes into the sides of the studs in your ceiling access. These holes will be used to run the fiber to each section of the ceiling. Without these holes the fiber would be laid over the studs and could be crushed by any items being stored in this location which would cause a loss of light and possibly break the strands.
- Diagram: we recommend drawing a diagram of how you want your star ceiling to look.
- Drill: the fun part - drill the holes in your ceiling based on your diagram.
- Insert Fiber Into Drilled Holes: in the ceiling access, feed the strands into your pre-drilled holes. Have the fiber "poke out" of the holes in your ceiling and glue the strand into its location. Many of our customers use a regular household glue.
- Clean the Ceiling: if necessary, clean the ceiling after inserting the fiber optic strands into each hole and before cutting the wires back.
- Cut Back the Strands: once the glue is dried completely you can cut back all of the strands poking out of the ceiling.